Friday, November 16, 2012

Me first

Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.  ~Richard Carlson

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.  ~ Anais Nin

For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.  ~Lily Tomlin
Happy Friday friends. Wishes for good weekends to all. Here in the midwest, we're having temps in the 40's, but they oddly feel slightly warm. Blue skies and sunshine abound.

Today I had to put myself first. I'm holding down the fort at work until next Wednesday when the other assistant returns, so I was loaded down with doing work for 4 attorneys;

Basketball practice for Son is immediately after work. This gives me about 15 mins. to let the dogs out; give son his basketball gear to pack up, give him something REALLY quick for dinner, and head back out the door for 2 hours;

I realized that I had forgotten to refill my 'happy pill' and I could feel the anxiety quickly taking over me. I am not real happy about counting on 'the happies', but it is what it is. As it got darker, the lights of cars racing around &; past me started to put in a bit of a tailspin. I needed to go directly to the pharmacy;

Mom wanted to follow us to practice as she wasn't sure where it was. I got consumed with her driving in the dark. In other words, I was putting too much on my plate.

My remedy: after I got my prescription &; quickly downed a pill, I told mom we weren't going to practice because I clearly needed a little time to collect myself; I told Son we would catch the next practice (he wasn't happy), I came home and relaxed instead. Guilt free.

If there is one thing my medicine has taught me is that it is okay to say no, okay to slow down, okay to not attend, and okay to let my body dictate what it needs. The world won't end if I don't run myself into the ground. I am allowed to put me first.

~ Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. HI LOVE, ok indeed. Good for you for taking care of yourself. "YAY"
    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely! Thanks for understanding. I am proud of the way I have freed myself by listening to what I need. First. :-) Love ~ me.

      Delete

My Story, Part II

  I'm curious about this second half of my story now that I'm alone. Then I read this by Jennifer Camp from "Loop ": "...