Thursday, September 2, 2010

As an ode to my previous love list I posted last month, I had random thoughts last nite & wanted to add in these film jewels.

My mother turned me on the old goodies when I was not yet a teenager. She grew up adoring the 'old hollywood' (back when it had class; not this shit they have out there now). I knew Angela Lansbury, Rita Hayward, Jose Ferrer & his wife, Rosemary Clooney, Liz & Dick; oh! - the list was endless. This lasted well into my teenage years. Mom would tell me early in the day that something was coming on that night & it was our unspoken date. When the time would come, we would usually go to her room while she would tell me each movie star's name, their bio, etc. I loved that time! I didn't know any chick my age that was getting this type of lesson.

So in tribute to Mom, here are our favorite movies from back in the day. Just typing this list makes me smile. I told mom I was doing this & each movie I read off made her swoon! (LOL!) We're silly romantics at heart.
  • Splendor in the Grass (Natalie Wood/Warren Beatty)
  • Love w/the Proper Stranger (Natalie Wood/Steve McQueen)
  • Back Street (Rita Hayward)
  • Love Is a Many Splendored Thing (William Holden/Jennifer Holiday)
  • A Summer Place (Troy Donohue/Sandra Dee)
  • Peyton Place (Lana Turner)
  • Susan Slade (Troy Donohue/Connie Stevens)
  • Sayonara (Marlon Brando)
  • Magnificent Obsession (Jane Wyman/Rock Hudson)
  • Play Misty For Me (Clint Eastwood)
  • Imitation of Life (Lana Turner)**
  • Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?**
  • Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte**
  • Valley of the Dolls**
**Note: these are not romance movies, but ones we still watched together. We still today quote different lines from 'em during our silly moments! The 'campy' Valley of the Dolls is still my fave. When mom told me that Sharon Tate had died & how she died, I was unhinged. I couldn't imagine such a thing. It bothered me for a long time, almost to the point of obsession. I read everything I could get my hands on about crazy-assed Manson & 'family.' Remember, I was probably 12/13 in the mid-late 70's.

I also have to laugh @ how proper times were back then. I remember in V.of the Dolls, they bleeped out the word "hell." All those years I wondered what they blocked until I finally saw the 'uncut' version. (Ha!) I guess the stars of old would roll over if they could hear the words on TV today.... :-0!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and Play Misty for Me both scared the fool out of me! I've never seen Play Misty for Me again! I'm sure Whatever Happened to Baby Jane scared me too. I don't remember it as well for some reason.

    I love Imitation of Life! One of my all time favorite movies and can still make me disolve into a puddle of tears to this day. For some reason, I loved This Property is Condemned. My mother didn't like it. She said it was depressing, but I thought Natalie Wood was just beautiful in it.

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! You crack me up - Bette Davis was a force to be reckoned with for sure! She could play the best nutcase ever; and yes - both those movies scared the crap outta me, but I watch them every time they come on! She played very warped characters.

    Imitation of Life ALWAYS reduces me. If you find a person who doesn't cry at that one, I wanna meet 'em. Must check out "Property" - Natalie was one of my all time faves. She was definitely so, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I remember seeing Play Misty for Me at the drive in when I was a kid what were my parents thinking. I now have my own copy and it is still a little freaky, my othere favs are Physco, Birds, good old Alfred did he ever make a bad movie?, It's a wonderful life, all time Christmas favourite and the original Miracle on 34th Street. I saw What ever happened to baby Jane recently oh my Bette is amaizing and truly freaky. I love Audrey Hepburn too, and anything Sidney Poiter, The Defiant Ones, Guess whose coming to dinner, To Sir With Love, oh my on and on I go.

    ReplyDelete

The 'New Spring'

I napped thru the storm that brought on the fabulous rainbow. The last 2 pix are after the 'bow' passed. If you didn't see it, y...