Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Everyone Has A Story

An elder lady let me go ahead of her in the grocery line today. Since she was so kind & friendly, I inquired as to what she was going to prepare with quite a bit of pork. In the time it took for me to check out, I learned/loved of her:

  • Friendly
  • Kind
  • 83 years old
  • She still drives herself everywhere
  • She wore makeup (brows, powder & lipstick)
  • Her outfit was pulled together
  • She loves cooking
  • FROM SCRATCH
  • She cooked daily for her husband and six (6) children; FROM SCRATCH
  • TV dinners, if ever, were a "treat" or a "snack"
  • Her adult children now cook for their families FROM SCRATCH
  • She makes her own Chow-Mein
  • She makes her own HANDMADE NOODLES for said Chow-Mein
  • She's a pork lover; no chicken and/or beef
  • She used be well-known for her pork chop dishes
  • She uses bone-less pork chops & Kraut in the crock pot every year for New Year's (one of her son's favorites)
  • Her mother died when she was 2 years old
  • She grew up in foster homes, the longest being on a farm
  • By the time she was 10 years old, she could prepare a full course meal - alone
  • Folks aren't kind like they used to be
  • She wished my mom a Happy Birthday!! :-)
  • Her biggest fear is Alzheimer's/Dementia
  • Her Aunt had Alzheimer's and it was/is a horrible condition
  • She tries to stay sharp by doing what she loves
  • She wished me a Happy New Year
  • She hugged me
When I got to my car, hot tears streamed down my face. I felt super-blessed to have had that brief peek into her life, to have met her. But on the other hand, I felt truly bad for mom. My mother was NEVER a bubbly, conversation-starter, friendly person, but when I looked at this lady one year younger than mom, and still so full of life.....

Today, I was definitely in the right place at the exact right time. And I thank God for that.

Peace.
Beautiful, vibrant stranger (Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 'New Spring'

I napped thru the storm that brought on the fabulous rainbow. The last 2 pix are after the 'bow' passed. If you didn't see it, y...