When i see children today, it's very, very rare that I see anyone running around, giving play serious time, thought & energy like we used to. when I don't see children outside, i imagine they're inside, more than likely parked in front of something digital or electrical. in an age where it seems like all children want to do is be grown - now, "play" has become a lost art.
If i could grant the children of the computer age 10 things or experiences from my childhood, they would be:
- hide & go seek
- red light/green light
- kick ball
- four-cornered hand ball
- good old fashioned tether ball
- play grounds - with supervisors, art contests, bubble-gum blowing contests, etc.
- long, bike rides w/your siblings
- outdoor imagination (no supplies needed except for what you find in nature), and
- long, cold drinks out of the garden hose
Ahhh.... the good old days. :-)
Pictures: Internet courtesy
Creativity Portal: list 10 things or experiences
from my childhood for children today