Thursday, December 23, 2010

Love Thursday: The real reason




Having Christmas with my autistic son really forced me to realize the 'reason for the season.'

Ever since he was small, the more minimal the gift, the happier he was.

I remember the years when I would go all out, focused only on the latest gadget or superhero.

When I purchased the entire set of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" giant stuffed dolls, he played with "My Buddy" - only;

When I purchased entire bedspread, pillowcases, curtains, & rugs of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", he curled up w/with a soft, old, worn blanket my mother gave him - only;

When I purchased the expensive Radio Flyer Wagon - 'original classic' (yeah, right...), he wanted me to pull him around in the box it came in - only;

When I purchased Dr. Seuss' collector "Cat in the Hat" series, he wanted "Where the Wild Things Are" read to him - only. Again, & again & again...... [infinity]

With his disability, he never turned an interest to the 'video game', so I never had to experience that madness.

Finally, I let go, even though it just 'didn't seem right' that it only took me a short amount of time to shop for him & not get caught up in the hustle/bustle/commercialization that Christmas has become.

Now at age 23, his requests are for clothes only. Not a special brand-name of clothing, but anything as long as it involves his latest sport (basketball) &/or it involves a hood (hoodies) & is made of some type of 'sweat' material. Can it get any easier? Still not being to let go completely (surely he must need something else), I throw little things on the side that I know he likes; Skittles, his favorite funny movies, etc.

Still, giving it one last go, I tried to get him the latest NFL hoodie. Yet, he chooses to wear an old, soft, worn hoodie that simply says, "Go Team."

So... with all the other crap out of the way, it gives me time to remember that there was baby born in a manger on Christmas Day & that the day is truly about gathering with friends & family and spreading love and joy. Thank you, God, for sending me such a perfectly made son who just by existing, teaches me a lesson - every season.




Happy Love Thursday &Merry Christmas to all readers & non-readers. May your holidays be only about those things that really matter!! :-)


Pictures: randomly borrowed, but oh, so perfect. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Nesting"

Cute bench from a friend's mother's home. The arrangement has changed many times. Blessed to get 'the kid's Thanksgiving tab...