Sunday, September 9, 2012

I want to turn the clock back to when people lived in small villages 

 and took care of each other. ~Pete Seeger
Some years ago, I noticed after I lived on this tiny street that it was odd that all the houses had huge trellised rose bushes. Now this was some 15 years ago and folks have done their own thing, like tearing the rose bushes out. By the time I arrived, there was no bush at my house, but I was bestowed with generates of extremely hearty Morning Glories.

But I thought what a time of friendship that must've been.

What is a friend? I'm picturing neighborly friends who: shared excesses of their veggie gardens; shared extra plant seeds; shared rose bush cuttings, shared morning glory seeds, shared fresh made bread; spent time on each others porches, cried together, laughed together, shared meals together, helped each other, loved each other as neighbors, and took care of each other.

What a time that must've been.

Picture: me (patio Hibiscus. My first. It thrives.)
Carry On Tuesday phrase prompt: 'what is a friend?'

6 comments:

  1. Indeed, neighborly behavior is important in a friendship. The warm feeling in this makes me long for that time too. Visiting from Carry on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for coming by, Laura. I wish those times still existed, and some places, they do. But for the most part - they don't :-(.

      Delete
  2. In the old days, during the 2nd world war and after into the 50's everyone was like this. Friends were neighbours and always helped each other out, even to the old 'borrow a cup of sugar'
    Now, we've all become islands and it's very rare we even know our neighbours anymore. But, a good friend is a true gift.
    Very thought provoking write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sooo true, Daydreamertoo; that's the exact words: "we've all become islands", which is truly sad. To live in such close proximity of each other, yet know each other.

      Delete
  3. oh, for the neighborhoods of old.....I barely know my neighbors, and don't believe I could count on more that 1 of them for anything....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth, Joanne. I only have 5 neighbors that speak. We're separated by privacy fences so it's nothing more than waving in passing. My elderly neighbor that I was once friendly with stopped speaking to me because I won't take down my giant willow that drops branches in yard from time-to-time. She's forgetting that she, too, benefits from it's wonderful shade. Good neighbors are truly hard to find :-(

      Delete

My Story, Part II

  I'm curious about this second half of my story now that I'm alone. Then I read this by Jennifer Camp from "Loop ": "...